Everybody"s Fancy

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dixie Darling


Interview with Dixie Darling - one third of Fancy's upcoming show 'Accumulation'.

First, lets start with where you get started, where'd you go to school?

dd: I got my BFA, in painting, at the University of Montevallo in Alabama. After that I decided after spending two weeks at Penland that jewelry was for me, so, i moved to Chicago and attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, then transfered to the University of Oregon's jewelry program.

Did you always want to make jewelry, or was this a fallback plan when your welding career went awry?

dd: I always made or rearranged jewelry I was given as a kid, but I didn't know you could go to school and learn how to make it till I was almost finished with my BFA. Once I found that out, I packed up all of my belongings and moved cross country to learn this amazing craft

What is your design process?

dd: I usually sketch some very loose idea based off inspiration, decide on a color pallet that seems interesting, and then lay out the materials I feel will work best with my idea. My piece might look just like my drawing after I'm finished, or completely different. I'm not too particular about that.

Favorite materials to work with?

dd:I love working with brass,sterling, felt, ploymer, paint, beads, vintage bobbles, embroidery, bone, and wonderful objects given to me by friends or family.

Resources you're willing to share with other jewelers & the public?

dd: It depends. Some stuff I wanna keep to myself because I spend a ton of time in my studio tying to create unique materials to use. I'll tell you the basics, but you need to do some creative experimentation on your own. The process is a VERY important part of the whole. Anything else I'm an open book.

Have you ever made a piece that embarrassed you?

dd: Of course. Right now I have a piece that turned out lumpy after I worked about 6 months on it. So, I've covered it with a scarf to hide it from my sight for the time being.

Do you consider yourself a jeweler, an artist or a jewelry artist, or do you have another moniker?

dd: I guess I consider myself a jewelry artist. Most of what I make could be seen as small sculptures that adorn the body.

Have you worked with Rachel and Sarah in the past, or is this your first collaboration?

dd: This is our first collaboration, but we've known each other for a few years now.

Who is your design hero?

dd: Oooh, there are so many! I love Terhi Tolvanen, Helen Britton, Willemijn de Greef, Iris Bodemer, Karl Fritsh...... the list goes on

Anything to add?

dd: I love geeking out with people, so, if you have any questions that I didn't answer here please contact me through my website yourdarlingdixie.com